The first game from Mountains, a new “craft games” studio headed by Ken Wong (lead designer of Monument Valley), Florence is best described as an interactive graphic novel set to music. It’s a beautifully illustrated and scored story about a young woman’s first first love. The soundtrack by Kevin Penkin (soundtrack composer of Made in Abyss) is especially good, and the entire package is extrordinarily polished.
This is a story driven experience, so our spoiler break is a bit early at [00:20:29].
Florence is available on iOS and (soon) Android, and costs $2.99. Expect it to take about an hour to play.
Links for this episode:
- Giant Days Vol. 1 | Amazon.com
- Blankets: Craig Thompson | Amazon.com
- To Be Or Not To Be – Ryan North on the App Store
- Miley and Lilly Designer Dreams | Laura’s first professional game work. No longer online officially but available here on an unofficial site. Play at your own risk.
- Infinite canvas – Wikipedia
- Florence (Original Soundtrack) by Kevin Penkin on Apple Music
- Florence (Original Soundtrack) by Kevin Penkin on Spotify
You can follow our show on Twitter at @_shortgame
Like the show? Support us by writing a review on iTunes!
Your hosts this week were: