A Dark Room is an incredibly simple and yet incredibly deep and even moving game, unexpected qualities in the “idle games” genre.
From the App Store page, you begin with this simple and evocative description:
“Awake. Head throbbing. Vision blurry. Come light the fire.”
A Dark Room was such a sensation that it has been written about at length even in publications not known for gaming coverage. For example, this great article from The New Yorker: A Dark Room: The Best-Selling Game That No One Can Explain.
A Dark Room began as a web-game that you can play in a browser tab while you work. That version is still available here.
Expect the game to take 2-3 hours to complete depending on your play style. The iOS version includes a developers commentary and additional challenge mode following the completion of the main game.
- Cookie Clicker
- Touch Arcade review of A Dark Room
- NimbleBit – makers of numerous quality idle games for iOS
- The Ensign – Prequel to A Dark Room
- Space Happens – A Kickstarter-funded web series by Laura Nash and friends, premiering this month! “A satire developed, written & produced by women in comedy. A slash fic between feminism and science fiction. In witty webseries form.”
- Bear Hive – Nate’s awesome band, now with an album on BandCamp, Spotify, and iTunes!
You can follow our show on Twitter at @_shortgame
Your hosts this week were: