This week we talk about the entrants for this year’s Spring Thing interactive fiction festival. Spring Thing is an offshoot of IFComp that focuses on new works (they must debut as a part of the festival) that are freely available, and generally shorter and more experimental than IFComp entries. We collectively played all but one of this year’s entrants and talk about them in detail.
We recorded this on the evening that the voting closed for the Spring Thing Audience Choice ribbon. The winners have since been announced, and Toby’s Nose won both the Audience Choice and the Alumni Choice awards!
We also discuss the results of this year’s XYZZY awards, and some other interactive fiction. This is only the beginning of our coverage of the interactive fiction competition/festival scene, so stay tuned!
Links for this episode
- Spring Thing Festival of Interactive Fiction
- IFComp 2014
- The XYZZY Awards
- The Short Game – 31: Interactive Fiction
- The Short Game – 36: 80 Days
- GDC video: Leading Players Astray: 80 Days & Unexpected Stories
- Hadean Lands
- Hadean Lands walkthrough from Key & Compass
- The Uncle Who Works For Nintendo
- With Those We Love Alive – By Porpentine
- Creatures Such as We
- Crystal Warrior Ke$ha
- Toby’s Nose by Chandler Groover
- Winner of both the Audience Choice and the Alumni Choice ribbons for 2015
- Sunrise by Lucky Sun Scribes
- A Trial by B Minus Seven
- Ruiness by Porpentine
- Mere Anarchy by Bruno Dias
- The Short Game – 28: A Dark Room
- Aspel by Emily Short
- Aaron Reed
- Ryan North’s To Be or Not To Be
You can follow our show on Twitter at @_shortgame
See our list of upcoming games, and make suggestions..
Like the show? Support us by writing a review on iTunes!
Your hosts this week were: