This week we are exploring the insanely varied world of indie game marketplace itch.io. Each of our hosts spent $5 on itch and played two or three games from a variety of vibrant micro-indie creators.
If you’re not familiar with Itch.io, it’s most easily summed up as “bandcamp for video games.” Anyone can post their work on Itch and create a custom store page to tell their story. Creators set prices, from zero to whatever they like, and everything works as a “suggested donation” so you can pay whatever you like above the creator-set minimum. It’s a great place for developers to share and sell their work, especially for games that might be too niche to get through a system like Steam Greenlight. Itch also does a wonderful job of fostering a community by featuring a parade of interesting stuff on their homepage and twitter account.
We discuss a bunch of games this week. We have gathered them together into a collection that you can view on itch.
Played for this episode
- Animal Inspector by Tom Astle
- Ultra Hat Dimension by Eniko
- Robot Heist by anna anthropy
- Cuckoo Curling by chromacool
- Masques and Murder! by James Patton
- windowframe by Daniel Linssen
- Grimsfield by escooler
- Minirl by endigo9740
- Subterrarium by slimefriend
- Lieve Oma by Florian Veltman
- Overland by Finji
- Jenny LeClue by MOGRAFI
- ANATOMY by Kitty Horrorshow
- Crowtel by Sink
- Hot Date by George Batchelor
- Risky Bison by Captain Games
- Tick Tock Isle by Squiddershins
- (ASMR) Vin Diesel DMing a Game of D&D Just For You by merritt kopas
- Eczema Angel Orifice by Porpentine
- Bellular Hexatosis by neotenomie
You can follow our show on Twitter at @_shortgame
Like the show? Support us by writing a review on iTunes!
Your hosts this week were: