This week on The Short Game, we discuss Yacht Club Games incredible debut and love-letter to the NES, Shovel Knight. This is a game we’ve been dying to discuss on the show and it stands out as both faithfully retro and relentlessly innovative and modern.
We discuss the ways the game pays homage to its inspirations, from Mega Man to Zelda to Duck Tales to Castlevania, and how it improves upon those games with technology and mechanics that feel both old and new. After the spoiler break we discuss the game’s ending and talk about how it made us feel.
Links for this episode:
- Destiny | Official Site of Destiny the Game
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Shantae (series) – Shantae Wiki
- A Boy and His Blob – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- DuckTales Remastered review: money pit | Polygon
- Shovel Knight cheat unlocks Butt Mode | Joystiq
- Shovel Knight Original Soundtrack | Jake Kaufman
- Strike the Earth! Shovel Knight Arranged | Jake Kaufman
- Sega “Tower of Power”
- Our guest appearance on Casual Shenanigans Gaming – We talk a lot about our Genesis gaming history
- Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle that Defined a Generation: Blake J. Harris – Amazon.com