This week, Laura joins us again to discuss Little Inferno, a game so unique that it defies description. Here, we’ll give it a go: Little Inferno is a game in which you order items from catalogs, burn them in a beautiful interactive fireplace, and somehow this earns you more money to buy more things to burn.
Sound intriguing? We didn’t think so! Yet somehow, developers Tomorrow Corporation (of World of Goo fame) turn this strange, casual game concept into a two-to-four hour experience that we all found deeply emotionally and intellectually satisfying. If you’re into games as art and games as culture, you’ll want to check this one out. A great and utterly unique game, and a great episode of The Short Game.
- Little Inferno on the Wii U eShop – $9.99
- Little Inferno on Steam for Mac, PC, and Linux – $9.99
- Little Inferno for iOS (iPad and iPhone) – $4.99
- Little Inferno for Android – $2.99
Previously offered as a part of Humble Indie Bundle 8.
- Muppet Character Birthdays – The Muppet Wiki
- Bit Brigade plays Mega Man 2 – YouTube
- Bit Brigade on iTunes
- Metroid Metal – BandCamp
- Slime Girls – Vacation Wasteland EP (The source of our AWESOME theme song)
- Slime Girls on StoreEnvy – Pre-Order the Vacation Wasteland EP Cassette!
- Mortal Kombat Theme Song, 10 Hours – YouTube
- Star Trek TNG Ambient Engine Noise (Idling for 24 hrs)
- Jhonen Vasquez
- Cow Clicker, a Facebook game about Facebook games by Ian Bogost
- Little Inferno’s message explained by Tomorrow Corporation – Digital Spy
You can follow our show on Twitter at @_shortgame
Your hosts this week were: