This week we’re talking about The Beginner’s Guide, the new game from Davey Wreden. Wreden’s first game, The Stanley Parable, was the topic of the second episode of The Short Game way back in the distant past (last year.) We loved it, to say the least. This game is a very different beast, and it covers some pseudo-autobiographical territory. Wreaden narrates as he presents a collection of short games by a (fictional) friend, Coda, and explains what each one means to him. But Wreden and Coda have a more complex relationship than is initially on display. The collection delves into deep psychological and ethical waters during its short run-time.
The Beginner’s Guide is available for $9.99 on Steam and the Humble Store for Mac and PC. Expect it to take just an hour and a half to complete.
Links for this episode:
- The Beginner’s Guide on Steam
- Buy The Beginner’s Guide from the Humble Store.
- The Stanley Parable |
- The Beginner’s Guide is a game that doesn’t want to be written about / Offworld
- The Beginner’s Guide review • Eurogamer.net
- The Beginner’s Guide (Davey Wreden) and Intimacy Inside Games | Emily Short’s Interactive Storytelling
- Game of the Year | Galactic-Cafe
- Davey Wreden & William Pugh: Life After The Stanley Parable | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- The Short Game | 54: The Magic Circle
- Super Mario 3D Land – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
- Until Dawn – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can follow our show on Twitter at @_shortgame
See our list of upcoming games, and make suggestions..
Like the show? Support us by writing a review on iTunes!
Your hosts this week were: